Friday, November 18, 2011

A Little Help

A topic that has been on my mind lately is isolation. I recently read somewhere that "we are all isolated living in our suburban castles." How true this is. I really don't think we were meant to live this way. I think the individualistic, self-reliant culture has in fact hurt the individual. People are so lonely. We think that we have to do everything ourselves and get burnt out so easily. God gave us all different gifts and I think that it is so important to share these gifts with others and let others share their gifts with you. There is so much more I want to say on this topic, but I have to leave that for another post... it is way too late already!

What got me thinking about this topic is a short story that I will leave you with tonight. Today I was outside raking the front yard for about the tenth time-seriously. As I was finishing up, one of my neighbors came over and asked if he could help me haul the leaves. I thanked him but insisted he didn't have to do that. He insisted that I go get my tarp and let him help. As I was looking for the tarp, another neighbor came over with his ladder to change a light bulb that I needed his ladder to do. While I was helping the second neighbor with the light bulb, the first neighbor and his wife raked up the rest of my leaves and hauled them away for me! I was overwhelmed with their generosity and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment