Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cleaning

Why is it that cleaning other people's houses is so much more fun than cleaning our own? Today I was over at some friends' house who are getting ready for a big move. I was really enjoying cleaning up the mess from lunch and straightening out some piles of random "stuff" for them. I really don't mind cleaning my own house, but sometimes finding the motivation can be hard, and the task itself can be daunting. Cleaning my friends kitchen, well I just couldn't wait to keep cleaning. It made me stop and think. What is so different? It's all mess. What makes this a more enticing mess? I think it's a few things. My friend's house was indeed a different mess. It was something new. Cleaning my own house can become so mundane. It isn't very challenging-I am just doing the same dishes over and over again, washing the same floor. When I lack the motivation to do this, I must remember that it is in the mundane tasks that I can grow closer to Jesus and Mary. Mary didn't have a housekeeper. She did the same tasks and chores I have to do. Only she didn't have a washing machine or a dishwasher or the millions of other gadgets that make my life easier.

Another difference is that when helping others clean you are doing something for them. There is satisfaction in knowing that I am helping someone else. What I must remember is that cleaning my own house is in fact helping others, too. It is helping my husband and son! It is helping our family to live in a clean, safe and orderly place. When our house is kept clean, we are more able to relax. I don't have to worry about Baby Boy getting into something that he shouldn't. We can do other projects that need to be done. We can have people come over on a whim and not have to worry about a huge mess!! Cleaning is a never ending process, but one that I must embrace daily in a loving way.

Well, I have a pile of dishes that are waiting for me. :) Happy Cleaning everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment